is the Official Website of Ards Football Club. The content and views expressed on this website are those of individuals and are not necessarily the views of Ards
Football Club Limited. All material is copyright Ards Football Club except where otherwise stated. No material may be reproduced without prior consent. To contact the editor on
any matter relating to the website, e-mail web at To contact the football club, see our list of contacts
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail

Danske Bank Premiership

Portadown 3 Ards 1

Despite taking an early lead from the penalty spot, three goals after the break from Portadown condemned us to another defeat on the road.

Michael Ruddy’s 17th minute penalty had given us a great start, but a failure to get to grips with a resurgent Portadown after the break led to the Ports levelling and then going ahead before a successful spot kick from former Ards defender Brendan Shannon put the gloss on a home win.

Ards had got the better of Portadown in the season’s earlier meeting and it appeared that we were on the way to doing that again following the award of that penalty kick. A breakthough by David McAllister on the left of the home goal saw him attempt to put over a cross that was blocked by the outstretched arm of Alan Byrne. Michael Ruddy, who had taken all three of Ards’ previous penalties this season, stepped up to thump the ball past David Miskelly.

Portadown, under the temporary change of their former striker Vinny Arkins, responded well and after chances for Ken Oman and Keith O’Hara, they went closest yet with a shot from Nial Henderson through a crowded area that was kicked off the line by Johnny Taylor.

Around this time Ards’ Gareth Tommons saw a header saved by Miskelly but Portadown continued to look threatening and after keeper Aaron Hogg has misjudged the flight of a long ball forward, it took another goal line clearance - this time from Emmet Friars - to prevent Aaron Haire from equalising.

Nine minutes in to the second half the home side did get a goal back, when a corner from Henderson on the left was laid off into the path of Robert Garrett and he fired through a busy penalty area to make it 1-1

On 63 minutes the Reds edged in front with a goal from Stephen Hughes, who battled his way in from the edge of the Ards area to strike a deflected shot over Aaron Hogg.

If Portadown had to work for their previous two goals, then the decisive strike was something of a gift from Ards. Haire was seemingly going nowhere with his back to goal on the left hand side of the penalty box, when Taylor applied a nudge to the back of his opponent’s legs and ref Ian McNabb made the easy award of the day’s second spot kick. Ex-Ards man Shannon made no mistake from 12 yards to make it 3-1 and secure back to back wins for his side for the first time this season.

* Following a successful protest, this game was awarded by a 3-0 scoreline to Ards after Portadown had been found to have fielded a suspended player

29th October 2016


18 Aaron Hogg, 38 Fra Brennan, 25 Emmet Friars (capt.), 5 Johnny Taylor, 3 Michael Ruddy, 6 David McCullough, 16 Gareth Tommons, 7 Craig McMillen, 10 Joe McKinney, 11 David McAllister, 9 Gary Liggett


4 Stuart McMullan, 8 Ross Arthurs, 17 Carl McComb (for McMillen 69), 19 Guillaume Keke (for Liggett 58), 40 Jamie Douglas (for McAllister 58)


Ian McNabb


Ruddy (pen, 17)


Ruddy (77), Taylor (90+1)




Match highlights (BBC Sport NI)

Joe McKinney in action during today’s defeat
Picture: Gareth McCluskey